If you like what you hear or see in the posting, click "Dig this!!!" at the bottom of the post, or, if you want to be more specific about something (let's say an error that needs corrected in my research), leave a comment or email me at shaftindustries@yahoo.com. Thanks.

07 January 2011

Playlist for January 7th, 2011

http://www.oxfordamerican.org/



For the better part of the last decade, I have been a subscriber to the great periodical the Oxford American.

Published out of Central Arkansas University in Conway, Arkansas, the Oxford American has went out of print at least three times in its lifetime, but has had a dedicated reader base that keeps bringing it back to life.

This weeks playlist is a tribute to the annual Southern Music CD's put out annually by the magazine, with all the tracks coming from past discs put out by the magazine.

Always full of a wide variety of great music, the Oxford American has, for the last two years, dedicated the CD to a particular state.

I finally got around to listening to this years "Alabama" disc and it is, as usual, wonderful.

There are no notes (by me, at least) for this weeks playlist as the notes contained in the magazine are, not only informative, but much better than anything I could come up with.

I encourage everyone to track down this great magazine and support, not only the good music they put out, but the great writing contained in its pages.



 1. Boogie Intro - Morgan Freeman
 2. I Viborate - Bobby Brown & the Curious
 3. We Wanna Boogie - Sonny Burgess
 4. Number Nine Train - Dale Hawkins
 5. Holding On (Part 2) - Sister Ernestine Washington
 6. I Hate To See You Go - Little Walter
 7. No Mail Blues - Memphis Slim
 8. Blues for My Cookie - Lightnin' Hopkins
 9. One Mint Julep - The Clovers
10. Crazy Date - The Crazy Teens
11. Sockin' Soul - Johnny & Dolores
12. Crazy Feeling - Roy Hamilton
13. Move On - Baby Washington
14. Sadie's Ways - The Esquires
15. Back Side of Dallas - Jeannie C. Riley
16. Baby, I Love You - Erma Franklin
17. Hot Smoke & Sassafras - Bubble Puppy
18. You'll Be the Death of Me - Johnny Winter
19. Bad Girl - Zakary Thaks
20. Bayou Rock - Joe Bennett & the Sparkletones
21. Round & Round - Andy Starr
22. You Can't Buy My Love - Barbara Lynn
23. I'm Gonna Maker Her Love Me - Jim Ford
24. Nobody But You - Little Bob & the Lollipops
25. Funny Business - Olen Bingham
26. Forever Yours - Paul Burch & the WPA Ballclub
27. A Jelly Behind Woman Blows My Mind - Elton & Betty White

Tall Grass & Tasty Trash for January 7th, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment