Right now, the folks down south of the prairie are experiencing some record flooding, with little relief in sight.
There was a chance that the historic town of Cairo, Illinois could have been inundated by both the Mississippi River and the Ohio River.
|Cairo from the air, looking south with the Ohio (left)|
and the Mississippi (right) on either side.
Here at Tall Grass & Tasty Trash, we are sending out as many good vibes as possible and wish only the best to Cairo, all the residents of the southern section of the prairie state and points further south.
When the waters recede, try to make it a point to visit Cairo.
|Cairo from the air, looking north with the Ohio (right)|
and the Mississippi (left) on either side.
In the meantime, enjoy this playlist with tunes about rising water, neverending storms, the river and levees.
Enjoy, but (once again) don't forget Cairo!
1. Wade in the Water - Fannie Lou Hamer and the SNCC Freedom Singers
2. Cairo Blues - Henry Spaulding
3. High Water Everywhere (Pt. 1) - Charley Patton
4. High Water Everywhere (Pt. 2) - Charley Patton
5. Backwater Blues - Bessie Smith
6. Down on the Levee - Speckled Red
7. When the Levee Breaks - Kansas Joe McCoy
8. Southern Flood Blues - Big Bill Broonzy
9. The Rain Don't Fall on Me - Blind Willie Johnson
10. Cairo Blues - Melvin "Lil' Son" Jackson
11. Rainy Night Blues - Johnny Hicks
12. Blues in the Rain - Eddie Kelly's Washboard Band
13. The Levee Low Down - Cab Calloway
14. Stormy Weather - Eddie Cash
15. Didn't It Rain - Evelyn Freeman
16. Storm Warning - Mac Rebennack (Dr. John)
17. It Keeps Rainin' - Fats Domino
18. Rainin' in My Heart - Slim Harpo
19. Walkin' in the Rain - The Ronettes
20. Crash on the Levee (Down in the Flood) - Bob Dylan & the Band
21. Wade in the Water - Julius Lester