If you like what you hear or see in the posting, click "Dig this!!!" at the bottom of the post, or, if you want to be more specific about something (let's say an error that needs corrected in my research), leave a comment or email me at shaftindustries@yahoo.com. Thanks.

28 January 2011

Playlist for January 28th, 2011

Jayne Mansfield...under the covers
Under the Covers

This week, after what had to have been too much celebrating this past weekend, the Lady of the Manor had taken ill with the sinus yucks.

There was lots of orange juice and chicken soup consumed and she spent most of the week in bed and under the covers.

I'm pleased to report that she is on the upswing and is up and at 'em.

This week's playlist contains a treasure trove of cover tunes from the famous to the not so famous.


Enjoy!
 1. Sunshine of Your Love - Ella Fitzgerald
(originally Cream)
 2. Always - Leonard Cohen
(originally Irving Berlin, later recorded by Patsy Cline)
 3. California Blues - Alejandro Escovedo
(originally Jimmy Rodgers, "Blue Yodel # 4)
 4. Tonight, the Bottle Let Me Down - Elvis Costello
(originally Merle Haggard)
 5. Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Dwight Yoakum
(originally Queen)
 6. Down Along the Cove - Duane Allman & Johnny Jenkins
(originally Bob Dylan)
 7. Adieu, Miss Molly (Good Golly, Miss Molly) - Johnny Hallyday
(originally Little Richard)
 8. Double Shot - Southern Culture on the Skids
(originally Dick Holler & the Holidays, later recorded by The Swingin' Medallions)
 9. The Weight - Aretha Franklin (with Duane Allman)
(originally the Band)
10. Are You Sure Hank Done it This Way? - Uncle Tupelo
(originally Waylon Jennings)
11. Atomic Power - Jello Biafra
(originally the Louvin Brothers)
12. Summertime Blues - Alex Chilton
(originally Eddie Cochran)
13. Tutti Frutti - MC5
(originally Little Richard)
14. Absolutely Sweet Marie - Jason & the Scorchers
(originally Bob Dylan)
15. California Sun - The Ramones
(originally Joe Jones, later recorded by the Rivieras)
16. Let's Have a Party - The 5, 6, 7, 8's
(originally Winifred Atwell, later recorded by Wanda Jackson)
17. Pipeline - Johnny Thunders
(originally the Chantays)
18. Farmer John - Neil Young & Crazy Horse
(originally Don and Dewey, later the Premiers)
19. What'd I Say - Hound Dog Taylor & the Houserockers
(originally Ray Charles)
20. Wooly Bully - Joan Jett
(originally Sam the Sham & the Pharoahs)
21. Highway to Hell - Nashville Pussy
(originally AC/DC)

6 comments:

  1. OMFGess!!! I love Ella and I've never heard this one. KICK ASS!! mwah! thx!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I uber dig this list man. I am glad you got the download stopped and have it stream. Groovy. How many good playlists have Ella and the Ramones. I have a great cover of "The Joker" by a band called Black Train Jack (their only album) of the famous Steve Miller hit. It rocks. I am always looking for a good cover song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual...groooooovy. I concur with our friend Gigglechirp: I love Ella-Does-Cream. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the mad props!!! When I first heard the Ella/Cream cover, I knew that would be the start off for this week.

    Also, thanks for the feedback on the stream. I've been wondering how it's been working and it's good to hear that it seems to be working fine.

    I would love to hear "The Joker" cover. It's one of my favorites.

    Little story about that particular Steve Miller album. In the fifth grade, I brought that to "show and tell" and, after playing it for the class (specifically "Jet Airliner" with the line "funky shit goin' down in the city") I was promptly chastised and punished by my teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and J'ADORE Johnny Hallyday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Comment on the movies on the side. "The Killing" by Kubrick is one of my all time Fav,'s!!!!

    ReplyDelete