10 July 2011
Playlist for the second weekend of July 2011
It happens at least once a year, when I come across all my fishing gear and start getting the itch to get out on the lake.
I believe it was Izaak Walton who stated that fishing (or as he called it 'angling') is the "contemplative man's sport".
I can believe that, for a couple of reasons.
First, when I get the fever, I sit and plot out my plan of attack. This includes making sure I have all my gear prepared, my bait procured, the fishing forecast checked and my spot pinpointed.
Secondly, there is something about sitting out there on shore, early in the morning or late at night, with next to no one around and little more than your gear, your thoughts and nature.
Over the last couple of weeks, I've renewed my state fishing license, bought way more crap than I need and am plotting an extended fishing/camping trip (when the heat lets up a little, though) for the future.
So, this week, our playlist is heavy on songs about fishing.
(all pictures from the blog moldychum.com)
1. Fishing Blues - Henry Thomas
2. Ned Went a-Fishin' - Walker's Corbin Ramblers
3. Fisherman's Luck - Dixon Brothers
4. Little More Sugar in My Coffee/Pete Went Fishin' - Fiddlin' John Carson & His Virgina Reelers
5. Don't Fish in My Sea - Ma Rainey
6. What's That Smell Like Fish - Blind Boy Fuller
7. Catfish Blues - Robert Petway
8. Talking Fishing Blues - Ramblin' Jack Elliot
9. Fish & Whistle - John Prine
10. Groovy Grubworm - Harlow Wilcox & the Oakies
11. The Hook - The Naturals
12. I Craw Fished - Gene Morris
13. Hook, Line & Sinker - Fats Witherspoon
14. Crawfish - Jess Stone
15. I'm Gonna Go Fishin' - Dr. John
16. Fish in the Dish - Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings
17. Fish in the Jailhouse - Tom Waits
18. The Great Big Fish (Beale Street Green/The Saucers Are Landing/Delta Getaway) - Jim Dickinson
19. When the Catfish is in Bloom - John Fahey